A blog about Lamb Island in Moreton Bay, Queensland – a unique little paradise under forty kilometres as the seagull flies from Brisbane CBD.
Because of restraints on time, and let’s face it, only limited material on a small island, some posts are being recycled/updated from earlier.
There’s not a comment facility, but if you have a question, you can use the email gizmo near the bottom of the right-hand column.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Whale watching, in transit.

Actually, we didn’t see the whales pictured above on our way home from Australia on Monday, when our waterbus slowed down and John the deckie came on the PA to tell us that there was a humpback whale and its calf out there beside us, in the channel between Russell Island and Karragarra Island, way down in our southern end of Moreton Bay where they don’t usually come. But the picture above isn’t them – it’s taken from the internet, because I didn’t have my camera. 

Mind you, I figured someone else would get a shot of them and post it somewhere so I could use it on this blog. But no such luck, except for the one image below, taken the next day (Tuesday) by another Bay Islander, Jeremy Staples, with the whale and calf so far away that I’ve had to circle them. What bugs me is that our house is just out of frame to the right, and if I’d been looking out I could’ve got a great shot of them. But anyway, the good news is that nobody seems to have seen them since Tuesday, so hopefully they’ve found their way safely back out to the open sea and continued transiting.